Chicago Public Transportation Accidents Lawyers
If You Were Seriously Injured While Riding Chicago Public Transportation, We Can Help Protect Your Legal Rights
We Represent Victims of Bus, Train, Taxi, and Rideshare Accidents in Chicago
If you want to get around without a car, there are a lot of public transit options available in Illinois—and it can be more convenient than walking or biking if you have a long way to go. In Chicago, huge numbers of both visitors and city natives use the city’s extensive public transportation systems to get where they need to go, and that may mean riding buses or trains operated by:
- Transit Authority (CTA). The CTA carries about 1.7 million people on an average weekday, and it is the major provider of public transit in the Chicago metropolitan area. It operates both buses and rail cars on the some of the most popular routes in the city, including the Blue Line to O’Hare and the Orange Lines on the Loop.
- Metra. Metra operates commuter rail lines across several counties in the Chicago area. It’s often used by passengers to connect with trains and buses operated by other agencies, and it serves over 100 communities with its 241 stations across the region.
- Pace. Many commuters in the Chicago suburbs are familiar with Pace services. The Pace service area covers 3,500 square miles, and it is one of the biggest bus services in the United States and Canada. Besides its fixed bus lines, the transit provider also operates its Dial-a-Ride programs and vanpools.
Cross-country bus lines like MegaBus and Greyhound also have hubs in Chicago, and numerous taxis carry passengers throughout the city daily. For the most part, any of these mass public transportation services are safe for passengers. However, there are times when something goes wrong—and a single accident can really matter.
A Single Public Transportation Accident Can Affect the Lives of Numerous Passengers
Taking the train or bus is often touted as a safer alternative to driving, but statistics only mean so much when an accident does take place. While these public transit services are generally safe for passengers, there can still be risks. It may be comparatively rare for a bus or train to be involved in an accident, but the devastation of these kinds of accidents when they do happen makes them hard to compare to passenger car accidents on the highway. While there’s no reason to live in fear of a possible accident every time you catch a train or bus, there are some things you should understand.
No matter how safe public transportation agencies try to be, the sheer number of buses, trains, and passengers mean that mistakes are likely to happen once in a while. However, although accidents may not be common, they can affect hundreds of people at a time. The injuries can be quite serious, and passengers may even lose their lives. In some cases, passengers are not even the only people affected by these crashes. Motorists, bystanders, innocent employees of the transit service, and others in the vicinity of the incident often find themselves on the losing end of a catastrophe, as well.
However, the numerous people whose lives are changed by a public transportation accident aren’t without options for recovery. When a tragic train or bus accident happens because an operator is tired, someone forgets to report a needed repair, or passenger safety is otherwise threatened in preventable ways, all the people who are seriously hurt by those mistakes or oversights may have to right to take legal action.
What You Should Know After a Chicago Public Transportation Accident
A knowledgeable and experienced personal injury attorney can help you understand all your legal rights following a catastrophic mass-transit accident. Your injuries may be devastating, removing any sense of normality following an accident, and it is likely that you will need help as you recover. Receiving the fair and complete compensation you are entitled to may help alleviate the financial burden of your recovery process and create hope for your family’s future after the accident.
If you need help, the experienced attorneys at Lane Brown, LLC would be happy to review your case of injury related to:
With millions of individuals riding every year, catastrophic bus accidents put a large number of riders at risk of serious injury or death with every trip. Chicago bus accidents and injuries are commonly caused by:
- Incompetent or inexperienced bus drivers
- Mechanical failures
- Bus manufacturer defects
- Bus collisions or rollovers
- Bus-stop accidents
Train and Metra Accidents
Train versus man is a never an equal match. Although train accident injuries may seem to be relatively few in number, they are usually catastrophic for the person who is hurt. Chicago train accidents and injuries are commonly caused by:
- Operator fatigue or error
- Preventable slip-and-fall injuries at train stations
- “Third-rail” injuries or death
- Doors closing on limbs
- Insufficient security or safety measures at stations and platforms
- Dangerous or hazardous content spills from train derailments
Our attorneys are also knowledgeable about the Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA) and the laws concerning railroad worker injuries.
Other Mass-Transit Accidents
At Lane Brown, LLC, we know that public transportation injuries are not limited to buses or trains. We are also equipped to handle other kinds of public transportation accident cases, such as:
No matter how complex or difficult your case may be, our attorneys at Lane Brown, LLC pursue every case we accept with the determination and skill needed to receive justice for our clients.
How to Find the Right Attorney for a Public Transportation Accident Case
While there are a lot of factors in the success of victims’ cases, one of the biggest factors can be the attorney he or she chooses to work with. If you have been injured as a passenger with Metra, Pace, the CTA, or another public transportation service, here are some tips for finding an attorney who is the right fit for you:
- Look for someone with specific experience. If you’ve been hurt in a public transportation accident, it’s wise to look for an attorney who has experience with similar kinds of cases against taxi, bus, and rail services. While these kinds of accidents may share some similarities with other injury cases, they also come with some unique challenges that require focused knowledge and legal skill.
- Remember that location matters. The rules, laws, and regulations that govern public transportation safety often come down from the state or city level, so the location of your attorney really can matter. You should look for someone who is deeply familiar with the laws in the city where you were hurt and understands local concerns.
- Don’t forget about your own needs. If you don’t feel comfortable with an attorney or don’t feel that your needs are being met, you should pay attention to your feelings. Make sure that the attorney you choose offers the kind of support you need, can explain complicated concepts in simple language, and makes you feel comfortable and at ease.
Why Lane Brown, LLC May Be Right for You and Your Family After a Serious Injury
The law firm of Lane Brown, LLC has helped seriously injured victims across the state of Illinois who have been hurt while using public or commercial transportation. Our Chicago location means that we understand local laws and regulations, and we often rely on the very same transit services that our clients do. We have a long history of helping individuals and families succeed with their cases, and we encourage you to ask questions and get to know us better—just reach out today at .
Free Consultations for Victims of Chicago Public Transportation Accidents
Contact our Chicago injury lawyers today to schedule your free, no-obligation case review and to discuss the unique details of your Illinois public transportation claim with a highly qualified personal injury attorney. Your free case review will help you get more information about your rights, a better idea of what to expect from your case, and specific answers to your questions. This is a valuable offer that puts you at no risk whatsoever, so don’t hesitate to reach out for help.
Library for Public Transportation Accidents:
- The Type of Bus and Its Driver Have an Impact on Fatal Crashes
Description: A study of fatal bus crashes shows that not all buses are the same. There are big differences in how these four kinds of buses play a part in serious accidents.
- Chicago Bus Accident Lawyers
Description: If you were hurt in a Chicago bus accident, there’s a lot you need to know. Learn the basics here, and find out how to get specific answers about your case.
- Injured in a CTA Accident? Know What to Expect So You Can Protect Your Legal Rights
Description: If you are hurt while riding a train or bus operated by the Chicago Transit Authority, you may have the right to seek compensation for your injuries.
- Important Information About Chicago Taxi Accidents and Victims’ Rights
Description: If you were seriously hurt in an accident with a Chicago taxi, you probably have questions about what happened and what your rights are. We have answers.
- Overworked and Fatigued Chicago Train Operators Put Passengers and Commuters at Risk for Serious Injury
Description: Chicago train operators are often tired from their long hours at work, but drowsy CTA and Metra operators can cause injuries and take the lives of passengers.
- Rideshare Services and Taxi Companies Are Required to Follow Different Safety Rules in Chicago
Description: Although the jobs may be similar, the safety rules that apply to Chicago’s cab companies and rideshare services aren’t always the same.
- What Chicago Residents Can Expect After a Taxi or Rideshare Accident
Description: You might not think twice about grabbing a cab or using a rideshare service, but accidents can and do happen. Here’s what to expect if you’ve been hurt.
- Medical Malpractice Claims for Brain Injuries Are Not Always Straightforward
Description: No matter how clear it seems that a doctor or hospital made a mistake that caused a patient’s brain injury, the legal process may not be straightforward.
- Understanding Amtrak Accidents: A Quick Guide for Victims and Their Families
Description: Victims of Amtrak accidents may be seriously injured and left without clear answers to their questions. Here is an informative guide for victims and families.
- Amtrak Traveling to Chicago Collides With Semi-Truck; Injured Passengers Rushed to Hospital
Description: An Amtrak train en route to Chicago collided with a semi near Reynolds, Indiana, when the truck attempted to cross the tracks. Twenty-four people were hurt.
- Police Cite Shuttle Bus Driver for Causing a Labor Day Weekend Accident at O’Hare
Description: The preliminary cause of a recent O’Hare shuttle bus crash has been released. Find out what may have happened in that accident here.
- Major Causes of Metra Train Accidents and Why Commuter Rail Accidents Continue to Occur
Description: Metra train accidents can occur for a variety of reasons. Find out what caused your accident or the train crash that claimed the life of your loved one.
- Pilot Error and Illinois Plane Crashes: Know the Risks and Your Rights
Description: Chicago public transportation accident attorney discusses leading cause of airline accidents—pilot error. Learn more here.
- Were You Injured as the Result of a Defective Railroad Sign or Signal?
Description: If a defective railroad sign or signal led to your injuries, you may be entitled to sue for damages.
- Regulations Governing Trains in the State of Illinois
Description: The state of Illinois and the federal government are responsible for regulating the safety of trains.
- Were You Injured at a Railroad Crossing?
Description: If you were injured, through no fault of your own, at a railroad crossing, you may have grounds to sue.
- Was Your Injury Caused by the Chicago Transit Authority?
Description: If you were injured while riding via the Chicago Transit Authority, you may have grounds for a lawsuit.
- Injured on the Metra? Call Lane Brown, LLC Today
Description: If you were injured during a Metra accident, you may have the grounds to file a lawsuit.
Blog for Public Transportation Accidents
- School Bus Safety Tips
Description : School buses carry precious cargo, but accidents can still happen. Is your family ready to do what it takes to stay safe around school buses this fall?
- Illinois Taxi Accidents That Caused Injuries in 2013
Description : Find out more about the kinds of taxi accidents that took lives or left victims injured in Illinois in 2013, and get help today if you’ve already been hurt.
- Other Kinds of Buses Can Cause Injuries and Fatalities
Description : Although you may immediately think about city buses, school buses, and Greyhounds, there are many other kinds of buses involved in accidents on Illinois roads.
- Facial Injuries Are a Risk for Passengers in Taxi Accidents
Description: Because of the partitions, bolts, and equipment that separate cabbies and passengers, victims of taxi accidents can sustain severe facial injuries.
- Watch What You Say About a Taxi or Rideshare Accident
Description: If you’ve been hurt in an accident with a cab or rideshare car, you need to be careful about what you say or agree to before you know your rights.
- 15 Injured in O’Hare Bus Crash at Start of Holiday Weekend
Description: Find out what happened when an airport shuttle bus crashed on I-190 near O’Hare airport at the start of the Labor Day weekend.
- U-Haul and CTA Bus Collide and Injure Eight
Description: Learn what happened when a CTA bus and a U-Haul truck collided on the south side of Chicago and what you need to know if you are hurt in a bus accident.
- West Side Siblings Killed in Metra Train Accident
Description: Find out what happened to a brother and sister walking the Metra train tracks in Chicago earlier this month and what you can do if notice dangerous conditions.
- What You Need to Know About Passing Buses
Description: Worried about passing buses on Chicago streets? Read this to find out more about the dangers and what to do if you are hurt or if you lose a loved one.
- Safety Concerns Prompt Federal Investigation of Metra
Description: Learn about the specific safety allegations that have led the Federal Railroad Administration to start a Metra investigation and what Metra riders need to know.
- Twenty-Four People Hurt in a CTA Bus Accident
Description: Find out what happened, and how badly people were hurt, in an April 28, 2014, CTA bus accident on the Southwest Side of Chicago.
- After fatal Asiana Airlines crash, the airline will enhance training for pilots.
Description: Asiana Airlines will enhance training for pilots, part of a series of measures it is undertaking after the fatal crash of an Boeing 777 plane in San Francisco.
Case Results for Traffic Accidents: