Before You Speak With an Insurance Adjuster in Illinois…

January 30, 2013

Before You Speak With an Insurance Adjuster in Illinois…

Shortly after a person is injured in a Chicago motor vehicle accident, it is very common for the at-fault party’s insurance company to contact the victim in order to gather information.

The adjuster will most likely ask to confirm the names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of all victims. The adjuster will also need to know the vehicles’ makes and models, where the accident occurred, and what type of injuries were sustained.

Chances are the adjuster will want the victim to provide the answers to these questions during a recorded call. It is very important to not allow the call to be recorded unless you have first spoken with an attorney.

The adjuster will probably also tell the victim that in order for the medical bills to be paid, the insurance company must order all of the corresponding records that relate to the accident. For these records to be ordered, a medical authorization must be signed, giving the insurance company permission to contact the doctor or hospital where those records are housed. While this may seem logical, and necessary in order for the bills to be paid, it is actually an extremely bad idea to sign a medical authorization provided by the insurance company.

This is because the insurance company will take the opportunity to use that release to order medical records that have nothing to do with the accident itself. Instead, they will order your complete medical chart, in hopes of finding something that is private in nature and potentially detrimental to the case.

While it is true that the records do in fact need to be ordered, make sure that it is done by an attorney you trust, and who has your best interests in mind.

Before you speak with any insurance adjusters, talk with one of the experienced and trusted attorneys at Lane Brown (888-529-9377). We offer a free consultation to discuss your case. Call today and learn how we can get you the compensation you deserve.

Get Answers, Contact Us Now REQUEST A CONSULTATION
OR CALL NOW 312-332-1400