What to Do If You Suspect an Employee of Child Sex Abuse

September 12, 2014

The thought is horrifying. Someone whom you trusted to work at your business and to be around children is committing child sex abuse. As an employer, it is important that you know exactly what to do to protect the children who may be hurt, to prevent the employee from doing any further damage, and to protect yourself from potential liability.

What to Do Right Now

If you think a child is currently being abused or is in imminent danger of being abused, call 911 immediately. The police need to be notified right away, and they may need to come to your school in Chicago, daycare in Arlington Heights, or other Cook County business to provide immediate protection for the child, or children, who are being hurt.

If, however, you have reason to believe that a child has been abused but there is no immediate danger, you should:

  • Contact the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS)
  • Call the parents of the child or children who may have been abused


Additionally, you should begin your own internal investigation. However, it is important that you also report the suspected incidents to the state. Doing your own internal investigation does not relieve you of that responsibility.

What If It Was Your Own Child?

What would you do if your own child was abused? The answer to that question should guide your actions. Additionally, you should know how to answer that question if a parent asks it of you. You could, for example, encourage a parent to watch our free videos and read our free articles for important information about how to help his child recover.

Get Answers, Contact Us Now REQUEST A CONSULTATION
OR CALL NOW 312-332-1400