Chicago Product Liability Lawyer
The Dangers of Defective Products and Consumer Injuries
You’ve come to rely on the items that play a necessary role in your day-to-day life. Whether you’re driving to the store in your car, cutting your grass with a lawn mower, or heating your house with your furnace, you have a normal expectation that these items will work properly when you need them. But if the products you depend on are defective, you or your family could become the victims of a catastrophic accident, suffering severe injuries like brain or spinal cord injuries, amputations, burns, fractures, or lacerations.
The Chicago product liability attorneys at Lane Brown, LLC focus on product liability cases of all types and will exhaust every resource available to fight for the justice you deserve. When devastating injuries happen, those responsible should be held liable and accountable.
Defective Consumer Products Can Mean Serious Injuries
Just about everything that can be bought or rented has the potential to cause personal harm if it turns out to be defective. Items that could cause injury or harm include but are not limited to:
- Household Appliances – Space heaters, furnaces, stoves, washing machines, furnaces, ovens, smoke detectors, and countless others.
- Electrical Devices – Hair dryers, lighting units or lamps, office equipment, computers, faulty wiring, washing machines and dryers.
- Defective Automobiles and Parts – Tires, seat belts, brake systems, or transmissions.
- Children’s Toys – Lead paint, small parts, or improper age restrictions may lead to severe injury or death.
- Tools – Power tools, gas cans, ladders, or mechanical equipment.
- Maintenance Devices – Lawn mowers, chain saws, fork lifts, and other mechanical equipment.
- Recreational Items – All-terrain vehicles, sporting equipment, boats, and snowmobiles.
- Medications – Over-the-counter and prescription drugs can be defective, causing serious medical harm to users.
- Child Car Seats – Inadequate protective measures or hard-to-use installation instructions could thrust your child into harm’s way.
Illinois Product Liability Cases and Types of Product Defects
- Manufacturing defects occur when consumer or industrial goods deviate from their manufacturing and safety specifications or standards during production. Basically, these “lemon products” cause physical harm to their users.
- Design defects center on products that are dangerous in the way they’ve been designed. For many of these items, their risks may outweigh their benefits to consumers. This may include things like the structural design of a child car seat, punch presses, ladders, or appliances or the design of other mechanical tools and equipment.
- Guarding defects occur when a product is known to be dangerous, and the designer or manufacturer has failed to design or build in protective measures so users are guarded from the known risks of the product. Factory tools and manufacturing and farm equipment can cause devastating injuries to workers when they are not guarded properly.
- Marketing defects involve inadequate or improper warning of risks of harm, methods of usage, and other risks associated with a product.
The Chicago personal injury law firm of Lane Brown, LLC boasts a team of nationally recognized attorneys with over 130 years of combined legal experience, committed to pursuing justice for Illinois residents in need. Our highly qualified personal injury lawyers have fought for the rights of clients in cases like exploding gas cans and defective punch presses. But no matter what the defective item is, if you’ve suffered catastrophic injuries from a defective product, we may be able to get you the full and fair compensation you deserve. Call us today at 1-312-332-1400 for your free consultation.